Phobia Hypnotherapy in Harrow
What are Fears and Phobias?
There are probably very few of us that do not have any fears or phobias, even if it’s as simple as being a little fearful of spiders, or perhaps liking to sleep with a little light shining somewhere nearby as the dark is not comfortable. Many such fears are manageable and the majority of us experience them at some point in our lives with little impact.
However, some people have fears of phobias that limit their opportunities in life: the person with a fear of flying may find being in a plane uncomfortable, however someone with a more serious fear, or phobia, of flying may completely avoid going on, or perhaps even seeing, an airplane; equally, someone with a fear of open spaces may avoid large parks, fields and sports grounds, however someone with a more serious fear, or perhaps agoraphobia, may never leave their house.
Below is a list of the more common fears and phobias that we get consulted about:
- Spiders – Arachnophobia
- Flying – aviatopophobia
- Water – Hydrophobia
- Heights – Acrophobia
- Enclosed spaces – Claustrophobia
- Open spaces – Agorophobia
- Crowds – Demophobia
- Darkness – Nyctophobia
- Dentists – Odontophobia
- Speaking in public – Glossophobia
- Needles – Aichmophobia
- Death or dying – Thanatophobia
- Being sick – Emetophobia or Emetephobia (may also be known as phagophobia, vomitophobia, vomit phobia, sickness phobia) For more info on fear of being sick, click here.
- Being judged or put on the spot – Social Phobia, or Scopophobia. For more info on social phobia, click here.
- Urinating in front of others, shy bladder, paruresis, toilet anxiety or toilet phobia
- Defecating (either alone, or in earshot of others), stools and losing bowel control – Coprophobia, or Corporophobia
The list of fears and phobias is endless as people really can be fearful of anything in their thoughts and lives so please don’t think that we can’t help you if your fear or phobia is not listed above. What is important is that, if your fear or phobia is having a negative impact upon you, or if it is limiting your full participation in life, or if your fear or phobia is becoming more severe and is beginning to dominate your life then it is probably time to do something about it and take steps to rid yourself of your fear or phobia.
How Harrow Hypnotherapy Can Help
Perhaps there is an upcoming event that they would like specific help with. For example, perhaps you want to go on holiday, but have a fear of flying and want help to get you onto the flight; perhaps you have a fear of spiders and are about to go camping and want some help to reduce your anxieties in relation to spiders; or perhaps you have a fear of dogs and are soon to go and stay with a friend who has a dog.
To read more about The Thrive Programme and how it can completely change the way you think about your life and your issues click here